A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day of Rest (nearly)

When I was growing up, Sunday (or the Sabbath to Christian folk) was seen as a day of rest. Shops were closed, people generally went to church/sunday school and ate a Roast dinner followed by snoozing in front of a (usually) corny film. At least the adults did, we were sent out to play out of the way, but told to play quietly because it was a Sunday.

Times have changed - and how. Many shops are open as are leisure facilities. People who are lucky enough to have a job that gives them the weekend off use the time for leisure pursuits, be it sporty kind, lazing the day in front of the telly with the newspaper, or shopping (don’t see the leisure in that last myself!). For many, the traditional Sunday Roast has given way to Pizza or (shudder) a McDonalds Big Meal!

My day started early with an 8AM meet up with my friend and a walk along the beach and around the cliff tops with my two muppets. Even at that hour there were runners and dog walkers around. By now, I suspect that there are many more. So, just under 4 miles walked at a nice slow chatty pace. I never tire of the coastline around here, no matter what the weather or the time of year, it’s a pleasant and refreshing sight. Today the sea was calm and quiet, sometimes it’s boiling with rage and pounds at the rocks trying to beat them into submission - and of course ever so slowly and gradually, the sea is winning the battle as we know.

It’s not every week that I do a traditional Sunday Roast, but being one who doesn’t like to waste anything, I had frozen the left overs from Christmas. So it was a case of pulling most of the ingredients out of the freezer first thing. Then, as I needed to cook the roast pots and parsnips as well as the Yorkshire Pudding, I popped those in the oven and out for a short recovery run. 2.25 miles later and the potatoes were cooked, the rest of the ingredients were nuked while I was in the shower. Now, for the corny film ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment