A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Over halfway

I know I’ve not blogged for a couple of days, but it’s a bit busy around here at the moment. Besides, I’ve not actually run for a couple of days. I’ve spinned and gymed, but my lower left leg has been objecting strongly to all this training! I did get some spanking new shoes yesterday though (thanksWiggle), so I went to the gym this morning and did what I call my maintenance while injured session. Can you tell I’ve been here before? Yes, more times than I care to remember!
I tend to, when embarking on a project go at it hammer and tongs so to speak. This happens no matter what the project is, whether work related, academia or hobby. My running had been going well and my weekly mileage was higher than it had ever been! Then - wham! it started with a background niggle and worked it’s way up to pain even when walking!
I think I probably strained the ankle muscle a little when my foot got stuck in the cleat on the spin bike on Friday. I took no notice. After my 14.5 mile run on Saturday the niggle started, a short 3 miler on Sunday made it worse. Monday spin and a short 15 minutes on the dreadmill and the background niggle was still there. I iced and massaged it and put some Wiggle bought Nature’s Kiss cream on it, and it was pain free on getting up on Tuesday. “I’ll pop out and do a short loop” thought I, but, it was a lovely morning for running, really lovely. After nearly 6 miles. I hobbled in to the house and slapped more ice on the offending leg!
No run yesterday, more ice and massage. Today, as I said, a maintenance session at the gym, which involves 20 minutes on the cross trainer, 20 slow and easy minutes on the dreadmill and 20 minutes on the bike. then lots of core work and lots and lots of stretches.

So far, so good, no pain, but I think I’ll do the icing thing again and the magic cream to be sure. Tomorrow is spin again, so I may do the dreadmill again, or I may even be sensible and leave after spin and stretch. I really want this leg to recover asap so I can get on with the VLM training, but as it’s still the middle of January, my head is trying to convince me that I have plenty of time!

Right, where’s that back of frozen fruits of the forest (no peas available)........

No comments:

Post a Comment