A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Juneathon Day 10

Friday is a swim day. I've factored it as a rest day, so just a swim to stretch out the muscles is enough.

I was in my lecturing job today so I decided to swim in the Wales National Pool. I don't have the confidence to swim in the 50 metre pool so chose to go in the 25 metre pool. Golly, it was incredibly busy!

Now I'm a slow swimmer - and I mean slow, it takes me 15 minutes to do 20 lengths. I just can't get any faster no matter how I try. I looked at the swimmers in the various lanes and though I may be better off going in the medium swimmers lane. I tell you, I thought I was slow, some of these people were slower than slow. I ended up just doing one length at a time (I had intended doing 40 lengths 1K maybe splitting it into 2 lots of 20). I had to queue to swim for goodness sake!

I slipped into the fast lane and even then I found myself over taking people.

What was most irritating though were the people just standing at the ends and gossiping - they were there for ages. One guy didn't even move out of my way - instead he pushed me away! If you are going to stand and chat - get out of the frigging pool and let the swimmers get on with it!!

I did just 30 lengths - one at a time and focussed on technique. I actually don't do that very often and it's probably a good thing. I know that my slowness is purely down to technique and if I want to do another Tri, I really should do more of it.

Another thing, my nose is running like a tap and I've sneezed all afternoon - I know it's the chlorine and the choppiness of the water (and the fact that kiddies may well be piddling in the water). It is so irritating though.

I'm off out tonight with some lovely girlie friends so I hope this runny nose settles soon. Although the curry should see off the sniffles
Run day tomorrow, so I'd better go a bit easy on the vino - or maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment