A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Monday, January 31, 2011

The finish line!

I've done many a race event and can recall at everyone of them the sounds and sight of the finish line! Sounds are heard first as people are cheered in, the the sight of that line gives heart and new energy to tired legs.

Today, we have reached the finish line of Janathon. Some will have run everyday and completed awesome mileage, some will have done Something everyday and others will have fallen by the wayside to be picked up by the sweeper bus. People get injured, ill or have other life events that may prevent the last sprint past the cheering crowds. It IS starting that is the most important though I think. The resolution to take some responsibility for one's own health an well being and the optimism and hope that we all feel when we set out on a journey. There is some trepidation as well of course. The start of a big race event with the smell of deep heat and nervous energy peppered with some anxiety is unique and unlikely to be understood by those who don't become involved in such things.

I did feel at the start of Janathon that I may not make the finish line and I posted my excuses   reasons early on. I must confess that some days I was on a thin line when it came to what actual exersize I had completed, but, I can say with hand on heart that I did do Something, everyday. The first week was probably the most challenging, when my inner voice was urging me to 'give it a miss today, no one will notice or even care', but I persisted and by the middle of the second week I was chaffing at the bit to get to the gym.

Today I had a bit of a drag day at work, I won't go into details here, but I felt that my energy had been sucked from me. I left work early (naughty me, but I had worked over the weekend and had no work to do as such), and drove toward the gym. It's on my way home and the number of times I almost stayed on the Mway and came straight home, but something else was pushing me to 'just go and do what you can'. So, as it was a running rest day (I do need them at my age), I walked on the treadmill at a brisk pace on a hill setting, then a cheeky 10 minute run walk, cos I felt like it and it's the end of Janathon. I then had a gossip with an ex colleague, he's retired, but likes to keep up with the goings on, before 20 lengths of the pool.

I came away feeling energised and rather self satisfied.

A rather marathon posting for  marathon month. Roll on June I say

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo Sue! You did it girl.

    I've said it before but I will say it again. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete