A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Friday, January 28, 2011

I've actually got outside for a run

A very short run/walk actually. I sort of wanted to road test my new trainers, but didn't have time to go to the gym. as I hadn't run for over a week and not outdoors for much longer than that, I went out for a 20 minute trot. More later.

I've had another working from home day, the advantage being that I can start and finish at hours that suit me rather than the office. 6am then I checked emails and did essential work like my expenses sheet.

The dogs had their 2 mile walk this morning, they like the new field we've found, comes complete with it's own dog poo bin (just as well!). Then a trip to Cardiff to buy new shoes. The shop I was going to has had some good reviews so I expected a satisfactory trip. The Mway was not too bad, we left at midday and the journey should take just under an hour. Leaving the Mway and we ground to a slooooow crawl for miles! When I say 'we', I mean HWMBT, he's not been out for a while and was feeling hemmed in, so he came for the ride.

The satnav, took us right to the door and even to a free parking place that gave us 2 hours, plenty of time for lunch and some retailing. The guys at the shop were very nice, and I came away with some sparky new shoes. I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with them to be honest, but they were the only ones in the shop that would fit my feet and suit my running style. They feel a little awkward and heavy on my feet, but I may well get used to them.

Leaving Cardiff was worse than getting there! Traffic lights, accidents and the build up to rush hour made for a very frustrating journey home. By the time I got in there was less than an hour before  I had to go pick my daughter up. I had new shoes and Janathon to think of, so I braved the cold and the public stare and off I went. I've been following a schedule sent to me for someone building/rebuilding their running. Being sensible, (new shoes, recent shin splints, notalot of time), I stepped back to the 20 minute outing of a few weeks ago.

Actually, it wasn't too bad, I've not run outside for a while, so it wasn't easy, but I just need to get out more as I said a few days ago.

Gym tomorrow and maybe a swim.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on getting out there! Hope you get used to your new shoes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. New shoozes for Sue! Happy new running. Hope they alleviate the shin splints. Great to hear that HWMBT is feeling well enough to get out and about.

    ReplyDelete