A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I need to get out more!

Going to the gym is all very well, and very useful when injured or the weather is really too much, but it leaves very little interesting to say. Lots of people focussed and concentrating on sweating it out, some people just pootling along chatting to the neighbouring pootler and a bank of TVs with a choice of what to watch while pootling or sweating!
I broke my iPod last week, which means I don't have my audiobooks to listen to while working away, so I put the news channel on instead. Maybe I shouldn't have.
I don't tend to watch news items, the media have a way of sensationalising news items in a very subjective way. I'll read the news online (the trees thank me for not buyig the paper version) or just pick up on what''s happening in the world from conversations or bloggersworld.
Also, there is merit in concentrating on what you are doing at the time which gives the activity some intent and quality. I don't know, I don't think I could concentrate soley on what is happening to my body for a whole hour, although when I do Tai Chi it's necessary, but a much shorter time duration. Perhaps I should practice, but my mind wanders all over the place if I do try.
And maybe I shouldn't have watched the news because it's all doom a gloom these days.

Back to the gym. My left leg was much improved and I toyed with the idea of a short run, but resisted. I'm going to wait until I'm pain free AND have new shoes. It'll be at least the weekend by the time those two events happen. I did my usual 20 minutes each on 3 different machines - elliptical, bike and hill walk on the treadmill. For some reason, my leg is a little tender this morning. Ice packs will be employed!

More of the same today as it's a scheduled run day, then something different tomorrow.  Only 6 days left to the end of Janathon.

1 comment:

  1. These abdominal exercise offer an aerobic exercise workout with out having to have nay high impact exercises. You will burn fat and calories twice as fast as you do with other exercisers out there because it is incorporating your entire body, not just your lower half.

    ReplyDelete