A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

turn and turn about

Today was a day of turnarounds.

I was working from home today so the dogs got their walk later than usual. I had a little more time, so we did a 2 mile brisk walk. I'm finding some problems getting my heart rate up on the walks though, even on the hills! It was sooo cold though. I like to vary the walk a little partly because it saves my boredom and partly because it puts me in charge when the dogs don't quite know where they are going and have to rely on me to tell them which way to turn. That's what we did, lots of turns along different streets and ending up going down some streets (to them) the wrong way. I could see the relief in their body language when they turned into our street and they knew where they were.

Today was a planned swim day, so I duly set off to the  pool so I could get there when the lane swimming was due to start. I think I may have 'blogged' some time ago about the merits of concentrating on what we are doing when we are doing it. This afternoon was a memorable lesson in that very philosophy! I was thinking about getting to the pool and what Iwould do when I got there when I realised I was in the wrong lane at the traffic lights. Nothing for it but to drive down to the next roundabout and turn around. Back on track and a few minutes later I realised that I had forgotten about some road works that had closed the main road I needed to drive along. Again, drive to the nearest turn point and turn around to follow the diversion.

Eventually I get to the pool and looked in some horror at the sight before me! The M25 is quieter on a Friday rush hour! There had to be 10+ people in each lane and around 20 kiddies in the far lane having a lesson. I was there and ready so I resolved to make the best of it. It meant that many times on each end of the 25 metre pool there was a queue, so I had to wait my turn to turn!!

40 lengths (1Km) in 33 minutes is not bad for me though.

As long as we don't get snow tonight I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow to get some new trainers, who knows, I may well get an actual run in at the weekend

1 comment:

  1. At least you didn't turn around and go home again! New shoes sound good. I hope you manage to get there.

    ReplyDelete