A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shin splints! Grrr!

I'm cursed with shin splints, I get them periodically and it is a weakness. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm a bit heavy for running and I do have a mildish overpronation problem. My running shoes should also be replaced which I  will now do this weekend.

It's still a nuisance though. I have a running rest day tomorrow, but scheduled to run 30 minutes on Friday. It looks like the elliptical trainer will be in use!

Today, I did my usual dog walk, I did a slightly different route, but even so, I found that I was not getting my heart rate up to the same level as I was some weeks ago. It was the same sort of thing on the treadmill later today. I did the scheduled 3 minute run 2 minute walk, I did speed up just a little and put the incline up sooner so my heart got itself a work out!

I'm going to have to brave the great outdoors soon, it doesn't usually hold great fears for me, but I'm rather self concious these days since I gained so much weight! I do like running in the great out doors though and I'm lucky in that I have access to some great and varied scenery. On my long runs I do a huge loop which takes in woodland, seaside as well as river banks. One day, I promise I'll go and bring some photos here.

Tomorrow I hope to get to the swimming pool and some cross training and weights in the gym.

1 comment:

  1. Your day and mine sound similar. I think I'm in a bit of a dip from the high of Janathon at the moment but I will make up for it today if the cough and headache and niggly knee let me, lol.

    Hope HWMBT is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete