A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

the first of the first!

So, here it starts. I did say however, that I may well cheat in that I would be unlikely to actually run every day. To be honest, it probably is not so much of a cheat as a rather wise thing to do. At my age to run every day, particularly as I've not run properly for quite some time would be folly and most definitely lead to injury.
I have also committed to http://www.fit450.com/index.html which is a short daily workout developed for the more senior person looking for increased fitness. I am assured by a friend that it works and is certainly worth the short daily effort.
So, today it was XBX this morning - my fourth day.
I also have a training schedule sent to me for me to start to rebuild my long lost running fitness (such as it was) ready for the Edinburgh marathon. It is a very sensible one in that it is a run walk basis and starts of very gently building up to the start of the marathon training which starts the end of January. It is just four runs a week, and so for me Janathon is going to be incorportating this plan with something different on the 'rest' days. Funnily enough - today is a scheduled rest day!
I have said that I have two energetic labradors that need walking daily so I'm as likely to count that as my daily contribution to Janathon. Today, we did  a brisk 2 mile walk along the route of my first shy excursion into this world of running.
I'm not sure that I will be repeating statistics every day, that would be tedious, but for today I shall indulge. As I said, two miles brisk walk it took 37 minutes my average heart rate was 112 with a max of 144. I'm not terribly displeased with that as we kept a pretty good pace going and just over half is uphill.
What sights did I see? Well, it's a dark dank and foggy night with very poor visibility. However, I did 'see' some teenagers playing on the swings in the playground. Black giggling silhouettes just being teenagers and having fun. A little later I saw a young man, not a lot older than those teenagers staggering along. He was trying to drink beer out of a can but his coordination was so poor that he failed and just dropped the can and staggered on. We made eye contact for a short while, it was hard to tell what he was thinking, in fact he was probably incapable of coherent thought. I was so sad for this young man that he had the need to be so drunk before 7 in the evening. Because of the job I do, I can see into his future which may well be bleak and probably short. But then, this was just a snapshot of this young man's life, maybe he is just not used to drinking at all and maybe he will never drink again. He did look sad though.
I on the other hand feel satisfied that the first day of the first month of this year has gone well.
More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment