A patchwork view of life, some running, some knitting, some sewing.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Over halfway

I'm not used to 'blogging' daily. I tend to restart the blog with the resolution to 'blog' once a week. However, this soon slips away as other life gets in the way. Daily blogging though has got me slipping into a rather introspective self examination. I do try to seen interesting things or think of interesting things to talk of. Maybe it's a human condition that we alway have to relate whatever is happening back to ourselves.

Sunday is traditionally a family time in this household where family usually visit, often for lunch. It seems to have altered a little over recent years though and I find I'm not cooking for them all every week any more. This is a two edged sword really, I don't miss the Sunday mornings in the kitchen, but I do miss the family time. Families grow bigger not smaller as grandchildren come along and it can be quite a challenge to feed them all with their different likes and appetites. The upside is though, that I do have some time to myself. Today I decided that a trip to the gym for  a treadmill run could be done earlier than usual, before lunch even. So after the usual dog walk and picking some of the family up from church and depositing them home, off I went.

I was listening to the radio in the car, now this is the 'interesting' bit. There was a discussion on the attitude of ageism. The BBC have lost a case where someone (I don't remember who) was not allowed to appear in a programme because she was a little old. Now older men are encouraged and revered by the BBC (and the public), but apparently not women because it's all about corporate image apparently. It was pointed out that people who are now over 60 are the 'Baby Boomers' who made a great difference in outlook and attitudes in the Western world. The phrase that caught my attention and tickled me though was 'The Bus Pass Generation'. I have my Bus Pass and use it, in fact, as an aside, catching buses can be a people watchers dream, even better than trains in many ways, but that's a subject for another blogging session.

So, have we, the Baby Boomers moved on into the 'Bus Pass Generation?' or can we just hang on to the Baby Boomer title? It seems that we have never, and will never intend to conform to what has previously been known as 'social norms', so Baby Bus Pass Generation Boomers maybe? A bit clumsy I think. I'll have to try to think of a suitable label for us, those of us who will even take the BBC on in order to hang on to our citizen rights to work and play as long as we can. Any suggestion welcome.

Well, I did get to the gym and did my scheduled 50 minutes run/walk, I then popped on the bike to do 10 minutes just to get the numbers nice and even. It's a me thing.

Playtime over, then back home to feed the Mr his lunch.

See you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment